Thursday, 22 December 2016

WONDER BY R. J. PALACIO







Hey everyone! So today I'm going to be doing a review on Wonder by R. J. Palacio. I've been putting this review off for so long because I wasn't sure how to sum it up. The book was hard to describe in words without getting carried away with my own thoughts - because I cannot express how much this book moved me. 

So basically, we focus on this boy called August - or Auggie - who has been born with a face deformity. August is sent to school first time in fifth grade where he obviously has to face a lot of struggles and bullying. That's all I can really say without spoiling your for this wonder. 


For some overall thoughts: I read this right after All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. As I mentioned in my review and in my Cozy Day Reads post, both these books are moving. While All the Bright Places changed me in a different sense, Wonder had a completely different impact on me. It left me wondering. It is a great finding yourself story which I will talk about later in this post. But this book taught me a great life lesson I'll never forget. That's all I can say because I don't know what else to say. This book is wonderful.   

The best thing about this book is how relatable it is for me. Here's why. Though I was not bullied for having a face deformity, I was bullied around for the way I walk, talk, and do all activities. Just like Auggie, I could not change that and neither could I tell my parents about it. I was so alone and at times I wanted to burst and kill everyone who had ever made fun of me, and it hurt so bad. When I read Wonder I sort of realised that there will come a time when everything will change for the better, that good times will come - but before that you have to put up with the bad times - before that - you have to accept yourself. 

The plot and the characters were perfect. Everything was planned. The different POVs were selected with great planning and worked so well with the story. I could not be happier with a book. 

Rating: 5/5 stars
Writing: 5/5 stars
Plot: 5/5 stars
Characters: 5/5 stars
Funny: Not much
Sad: Has its moments
Entertaining: Very Much
Relatable: Duh of course

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© CARLETON LARK | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig